Site design by Zaphod. Best viewed on broadband at 1024x768 or higher. Please be patient.

Traitor to democracy... visit http://emersoncampaign.ca to help

    Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe to Newsburst Add the Zaphod's Heads feed to My MSN! Subscribe in Rojo Subscribe with Bloglines BlogMad! Mini-Painter Yahoo group Blogarama - The Blogs Directory MSN Alerts Blogroll Me!
    • Progressive Bloggers
    • Vast Left Wing Conspiracy
    • Liblogs
    Peace logo created by Zaphod. Use as you wish!

    Tuesday, January 25, 2005

    New Year's Resolutions

    Well January is nearly over and everyone is still talking about the New Year's Resolutions they have made. Well most people. Some have already given up the ghost. Now this whole idea of deciding to better oneself in some way or do more of this, or less of that for the next year seems almost inane to me.
    Really, do you think perhaps that "i am going to quit smoking this year" is a good resolution? Okay, on the surface, all is well. Sounds great, and since I smoked for almost 20 years, and quit COLD TURKEY (because I am strong...) I can understand how important it is for folks to quit this filthy habit (and for that matter, never start!!!) That being said, what is so important about one particular day... the turn of the New Year, that makes people decide this now? Perhaps the subtle signals thathave built up over the previous years would be a better deciding factor, like the terrible coughing, and horking up of giant black loogies that should not exist every morning... or the shortness of breath experienced when trying to flee from the fuzz after robbing a gas station to steal smokes and lighters (since the smokes cost so much now)...
    How about "I am goign to get on track and lose lots of this excess phat this year...". This is another show stopper that realistically most people fail on. They sit on the couch with their beer and chips every night, while their swollen hearts try to pump blood to all of the extremities and can't decide to lose soem weight for their own sake before New Year's? Perhaps the hint that "heaving your ponderous bulk" around a couch isn't a good sign... or breaking a sweat when you put your shoes on? No. It takes a friggin New Year's Resolution to make these decisions. Not even your family doctor telling you to lose weight or you could die is good enough...
    Then most people never follow through anyhow. For example, last year (I am guilt of these silly ideas as well) I said I would try to paint one figure a week. I thought it would be great for some extra money and I would have a most impressive on-line gallery. Well I think I was doomed from the get-go. Not only did the "crunch" time load get to me, but in the end, there were months when I was lucky to finish ONE! Ha.
    So when all is said and done, don't waste your time. When someone says *Joyyyyyy* "I am going to stop giggling at my boss' toupee this year" you should tell them to sod off somewhere and do it to save their job... not for New Year's...

    All opinions shared on this site are strictly my own. Some people may disagree and that is fine, but rude comments or overzealous debate will be curtailed. I enjoy civil discourse, and encourage independent thought. I oppose George W. Bush and his Wars based on lies.

    Site design created by Zaphod. All written work and code is the intellectual property of Glyn Evans.