Site design by Zaphod. Best viewed on broadband at 1024x768 or higher. Please be patient.

Traitor to democracy... visit http://emersoncampaign.ca to help

    Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe to Newsburst Add the Zaphod's Heads feed to My MSN! Subscribe in Rojo Subscribe with Bloglines BlogMad! Mini-Painter Yahoo group Blogarama - The Blogs Directory MSN Alerts Blogroll Me!
    • Progressive Bloggers
    • Vast Left Wing Conspiracy
    • Liblogs
    Peace logo created by Zaphod. Use as you wish!

    Tuesday, July 12, 2005

    Speeding... When will it slow down?

    Stardate 4233.9

    Speeding. Nearly every one does it. Some do it too much IMO. A typical drive on Highway 2 near Red Deer will mean that you have to prepare for average speeds of 127 km/h lest you cause jam ups and piss off people. The posted limit is 110 km/h. If I take the secondary home, the posted limit is 80 km/h. However, the general flow of traffic is between 90 and 100 km/h. If I go 90, guys will ride my ass like a bad bicycle seat.

    I understand many people have busy days, time constraints for jobs... emergencies even. Still, why not leave earlier? Why not prepare better before you leave? I think that driving at 30 km/h or more over the posted limit should have some serious side effects on your future as a legal driver.

    Seriously. The problem with the laws is that there is simply no enforcement. Sure they have speed traps at the end of the month, when they have to get the quotas filled, but otherwise, you can go out there EVERY day and see guys passing me (I am doing 127 remember?) like I was barely moving...

    Solution? Photo Radar the shit out of everywhere. Fines like mortgages. Suspended licenses. Why not? Speed is killing people and very few care. I would be more than happy to do a steady 109 km/h on Highway 2 and I would feel a lot safer if everyone else was too... A few hefty tickets a day, and those Speed Demon oilfield guys and blonde cell-phone wielding broads would surely slow down...

    And I seriously hope someone doesn't say that speeding on the highway is not dangerous or I am over-reacting. Speed is a major factor in almost all collisions.

    All opinions shared on this site are strictly my own. Some people may disagree and that is fine, but rude comments or overzealous debate will be curtailed. I enjoy civil discourse, and encourage independent thought. I oppose George W. Bush and his Wars based on lies.

    Site design created by Zaphod. All written work and code is the intellectual property of Glyn Evans.