Site design by Zaphod. Best viewed on broadband at 1024x768 or higher. Please be patient.

Traitor to democracy... visit http://emersoncampaign.ca to help

    Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe to Newsburst Add the Zaphod's Heads feed to My MSN! Subscribe in Rojo Subscribe with Bloglines BlogMad! Mini-Painter Yahoo group Blogarama - The Blogs Directory MSN Alerts Blogroll Me!
    • Progressive Bloggers
    • Vast Left Wing Conspiracy
    • Liblogs
    Peace logo created by Zaphod. Use as you wish!

    Tuesday, December 12, 2006

    Of meetings, parties and service

    Stardate Unknown

    Well I needed a few days to recover from our companies AGM. Every year, everyone from all of our offices across Alberta get together for 3 days of meetings, seminars, drinking and awards. It kicks off on thursday and runs through until the Christmas party saturday night.

    Thursday wasn't too bad, and our drafting group had to do a presentation that really went so well I was surprised. We had originally allotted about 4 hours and spent countless time preparing our presentation, and most importantly, our reference handouts for all of the drafters in our sub-offices. The times were changed, and after much ado, we ended up finishing our presentation in about 20 minutes! It was alright however.

    That night was special, as we have a large dinner provided (though the bloody roast beef could have been actually killed and cooked), and then the awards for safety and other things are handed out. I received my 5 years of service award, which is a beautiful silver and rosewood clock for in the office. There is always a "fun" networkign event that is held for a few hours as well, so I basically ignored the goings on and conversed with colleagues I haven't seen in some time...

    Friday was a really dry day for topics and seminars. We had an interesting "Instigational" speaker at lunch, and I won two tickets to the Red Deer Rebels game that night, so it wasn't all a bad day. Naturally, many folks are hung over from the exciting night life in Red Deer, so some seats are vacant most of the day. I took the boy to the game that night, and cheered and booed the Rebels on to a shootout loss against Prince George.

    Saturday morning is the wrap up for speakers. We always get a safe driving oriented speaker, and this year was no different. An english chap that was far from politically correct provided some insight of the serious nature, as well as some laughs to go along. The afternoon was spent trying to fit myself into my suit for the dinner and party later in the evening.

    The party kicked off around 6:00 pm and being one of the first there afforded me the chance to find a nice spot to sit and rot all night. Supper begins at 7:00 and it is always an adventure watching about 500 people (it gets bigger every year) patiently wait for their tables to get called up for food. We ate, and drank, and by about 8:30, the band began playing. I had planned to leave at 9:00 and go to visit some friends, so I listened to the crummy band for a while and then left. They had the same crummy band last year, and after everyone told them how much they disliked them, they hired them again... Go figure. A 7 man band with a drum machine that plays easy listening soft country versions of the Eagles all night. Wow.

    My wife picked me up and me and my ill-fitting suit left with her to enjoy a visit with friends. That consisted of hockey and a viewing of a movie I would not recomment waisting time on, "THE DAVINCI CODE". IT IS CRAP. DON'T WATCH IT. Okay, sorry, raving a bit there.

    Sunday was really spent reviving myself, and now it is back to the grind stone at work until Christmas holidays. Fun fun! Maybe next year, I'll stay until 10:00 and throw things at the band...

    Labels: , , ,

    All opinions shared on this site are strictly my own. Some people may disagree and that is fine, but rude comments or overzealous debate will be curtailed. I enjoy civil discourse, and encourage independent thought. I oppose George W. Bush and his Wars based on lies.

    Site design created by Zaphod. All written work and code is the intellectual property of Glyn Evans.