Site design by Zaphod. Best viewed on broadband at 1024x768 or higher. Please be patient.

Traitor to democracy... visit http://emersoncampaign.ca to help

    Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe to Newsburst Add the Zaphod's Heads feed to My MSN! Subscribe in Rojo Subscribe with Bloglines BlogMad! Mini-Painter Yahoo group Blogarama - The Blogs Directory MSN Alerts Blogroll Me!
    • Progressive Bloggers
    • Vast Left Wing Conspiracy
    • Liblogs
    Peace logo created by Zaphod. Use as you wish!

    Thursday, December 15, 2005

    Blogging Ideology

    Stardate 5013.3

    As the one year anniversary of my blog approaches, I find myself thinking about various aspects of blogging, at least in the sense I attempt to perform it. In the beginning, I wrote mainly about day to day things, jokes and news stories that were interesting. As my interest in politics, and especially US politics grew, I found that the Blog was actually a serious outlet for thoughts and ideas.

    As I grew as a writer, I realized that sources can be key, and even though it may not be the responsibility of the writer to justify his thoughts (I think the reader must make a call in most cases) it sure adds a load of credibility to the postings. I tend to provide links to articles pertaining to what I say as often as I can but then it's not always possible...

    I have also noted that almost as a general rule, we like to surround ourselves with peers, and like-minded people. However, could this be defeating the purpose of blogging somewhat? After all, when we write something down that is opinion, perhaps we are trying to provide insight to others, or even *gasp* change their point of view a little! However, whenever someone on the other side of the fence makes an appearance, we tend to recoil, react or run! As a writer, I must be willing to do the same as I would expect readers to do. In the recent handgun debates, I found that a definate lack of research on my part was evident, and after a mix of some cool and some heated debate, I actually turned my train of thoughts around somewhat.

    Of course, we don't want to write and be inundated with opposition, but the idea I am presenting is that it should at least be welcome, and that the writer has many of the same responsibilities as the reader, as far as integrity goes, and as far as debate goes...

    Speaking of debates... the Leadership debate will be tonight in Vancouver. I am hoping I can tune in a channel or find an on-line source. Check the CBC Panel later for some thoughts on this...

    All opinions shared on this site are strictly my own. Some people may disagree and that is fine, but rude comments or overzealous debate will be curtailed. I enjoy civil discourse, and encourage independent thought. I oppose George W. Bush and his Wars based on lies.

    Site design created by Zaphod. All written work and code is the intellectual property of Glyn Evans.