Site design by Zaphod. Best viewed on broadband at 1024x768 or higher. Please be patient.

Traitor to democracy... visit http://emersoncampaign.ca to help

    Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe to Newsburst Add the Zaphod's Heads feed to My MSN! Subscribe in Rojo Subscribe with Bloglines BlogMad! Mini-Painter Yahoo group Blogarama - The Blogs Directory MSN Alerts Blogroll Me!
    • Progressive Bloggers
    • Vast Left Wing Conspiracy
    • Liblogs
    Peace logo created by Zaphod. Use as you wish!

    Monday, January 10, 2005

    The Morning the Lights Went out in Blackfalds

    Well, overall I had a pretty decent weekend, right up until 4 am on Monday morning. That is when the power went out. Now normally, this isn't a bad thing. I mean, at 4 am, everyone in the house is sleeping, and by morning, our heroes at the utility company have solved the problems without most folks being any wiser. Well not so. If it was 4 am that the power went off, the wife woke up at 4:05. Normally, we have a light on in the hall... no light. So she is freaking out about no power. Noises. bangs... the house is cooling and tends to make these noises. I just want to sleep. I try to explain everythign away, and suggest that sleeping in the dark makes no real difference since it is dark behind your closed eyes anyways.
    Everything is settling down in the darkness, and along comes the cat. Well dash it all, there is a new batch of "What was that?" and "Shhhh...". Finally, it is quiet. The cat found a new chair to cover in hair, and we are drifting off to sleep at about 5 am.
    Clump, clump, clump, up the stairs comes the boy. "Moooooom.... the power went out...". So after a brief fit of sarcasm, and a strong denial to allow him to sleep in our room, I say to sleep on the couch upstairs and let me go back to sleep. No flashlights... why waste the batteries? I mean GO TO SLEEP! In the dark even!!! So off he goes for a while. Maybe 10 minutes, and he can't take it. So now he wants to sleep on the floor in our room in the corner. Well, I have been up for a good hour and some now, with the wife being nervous, and I don't need him talking, fidgeting and doing all those young fella things that they do when they are supposed to be going to sleep in the dark... So I suggest that I will go and sleep on the couch, and perhaps they can keep each other up int he bedroom.
    Well, within half an hour, the power comes back on. This is good, because it was -30 outside, and the house was really getting chilly out of the blankets.... Another half hour, and I am getting up for work. Sounds pretty droll of course, but the kicker comes at 7:10 when I go out to start the car....
    Grnnn Grnnnn grnnn grn. grn.
    Damnit. I check the power, and the block heater IS plugged in. I haven't moved the car all weekend, but of course! The power was out for ages this morning... So I try again.
    Grnnn Grnnnn grnnn grn. grn.
    Nothing. Even worse now, I have flooded the beast. This could take ages. I swore. I went in the house and got the lad ready to walk to school (not too far, but it is a might chilly out)... Tried the car again at about 7:50 and...
    Grnnn Grnnnn grnnn grn. grn.
    Well, the only thing I could do, and likely the only thing anyone in their right mind could do... call work and let them no the situation and that I will be in asap.
    Of course, I went back to bed.

    All opinions shared on this site are strictly my own. Some people may disagree and that is fine, but rude comments or overzealous debate will be curtailed. I enjoy civil discourse, and encourage independent thought. I oppose George W. Bush and his Wars based on lies.

    Site design created by Zaphod. All written work and code is the intellectual property of Glyn Evans.