Site design by Zaphod. Best viewed on broadband at 1024x768 or higher. Please be patient.

Traitor to democracy... visit http://emersoncampaign.ca to help

    Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe to Newsburst Add the Zaphod's Heads feed to My MSN! Subscribe in Rojo Subscribe with Bloglines BlogMad! Mini-Painter Yahoo group Blogarama - The Blogs Directory MSN Alerts Blogroll Me!
    • Progressive Bloggers
    • Vast Left Wing Conspiracy
    • Liblogs
    Peace logo created by Zaphod. Use as you wish!

    Monday, January 17, 2005

    The Big Diverse Company Safety Meeting

    This is sort of a rant and peeve, but at the same time, I can recognise the inherent value in such things.
    Our company is very wide open. We have a lot of field staff, well, mostly field staff in fact. Then there are those of us who never leave the office (well except to maybe go home at night if we're lucky). Now we tend to have these safety meetings in our Office maybe once a month. Our company takes Safety and all very seriously which is good.
    The problem I see now, is that the majority of the people who attend these meetings are the people who in fact, rarely leave the office. Today, we talked all about Fatigue Management. How guys can work too long on a job site, and the amount of days on and off and all that. Well basically, our Safety Officer stood there talking to a bunch of 8 to 5 folks about working days longer than 12 or 16 hours and all this... I mean really. Wrong crowd.
    So here is a room full of office workers, passing out with Fatigue, talking about Fatigue Management on Jobs... Joy. Really, it was quite entertaining. Gimme a break.
    Then there is the bit about hidden dangers around the office... Watch OUT!
    The photocopier bites sometimes!!!
    There is no window in the door, so you could open it into somebody coming through the other way
    The sidewalk may be a bit icy, so be careful. Avoid those slips, trips and falls.. I mean really. It's winter, and I think any human that deserves to be breathing that lives around here would know to be careful.
    Lastly, I think that the phone could very possibly give you a shock if you are cutting the wires with a pair of scissors while talking on it. I think this could happen to a few folks... maybe.
    I guess at the end of the day, I am happy that my company takes a serious approach to safety. I would likely not work for a company that did not. That being said, some organisation in order to get the message to the RIGHT people may be in order...
    Back to regular programming now please!

    All opinions shared on this site are strictly my own. Some people may disagree and that is fine, but rude comments or overzealous debate will be curtailed. I enjoy civil discourse, and encourage independent thought. I oppose George W. Bush and his Wars based on lies.

    Site design created by Zaphod. All written work and code is the intellectual property of Glyn Evans.